Friday, August 1, 2008

Stuck in the Sand



I took the kids to the beach the other day. I’m working on a picture book set at the beach so I have the sketchy justification that I need to do some research. I did bring my sketchbook, anyway.

Any time I get a little sulky about not being able to take a real vacation it’s good for me to go to the beach. I look around and realize there’s a lot of people who do a lot of saving and planning just to come here for a week. They come from landlocked places and soggy places. Places where in winter brains freeze and in summer thighs stick to car upholstery. Places where gnats fly up your nose and mosquitos treat you like a walking juice box. They come from beautiful places, too, just to enjoy another kind of beauty.

In a week they’ll go back home, and I’ll still be here. When I want to I can get in my car, and in twenty minutes have a pocketful of sandy seashells and water lapping at my ankles. If you’re going to be stuck somewhere, this is a good place for it.

No comments: