Monday, March 16, 2009

It's Fun and Educational, and Teaches Line Drawing, Too (Sort Of)

The new issue of National Geographic Kids just arrived at our house. The kids went through it from cover to cover, like they always do. The item that made the biggest impression on them this month was a deep sea creature called the blobfish, which scientists nicknamed “Mr. Blobby”. If you aren’t in the middle of eating something, feel free to get a load of Mr. Blobby here. To me he looks like a boneless chicken breast with eyeballs.

Shortly after the kids had reviewed the latest issue, their conversation went something like this:


“You’re a blobfish!”


“No, you’re a blobfish!”


“No, you are!”

Okay, time for a little review. Over the past months my kids have affectionately called each other Fatty, Stupid, Stupe, Scary, Ning-Nong, Disgusting, Disgrace to human society, Slippery git, Flame-broiled steak, Mutt Williams, Rosa Klebb… the list goes on. Besides that, they routinely have to remind each other that they suck.

But this particular conversation ended like this:

“Ugh. Let’s agree not to call each other Blobfish, okay? That’s just wrong.”

So relieved to know there is a line. And it has finally been drawn.

As long as we’re on the subject of line drawing and ning-nongs, check out this fun animation based on the nonsense poem On the Ning Nang Nong, by Spike Milligan. It’s only 37 seconds, and one of the characters even looks a little like Mr. Blobby:




15 comments:

Kelly Polark said...

That blobfish looks so cartoonish! It looks like that face that hangs over a building (Kilroy?).
Glad your kids can draw the line, all I've been hearing is "buttocks" lately!

ICQB said...

I used to love National Geographic Kids, and Discover kids, and I think there was another one we used to get, but I can't remember the title.

Now my kids are way too old for them. That's sad, because I don't have an excuse to get them anymore (I think I liked them more than they did).

And by the way, sometimes after eating a big meal I feel like Mr. Blobby looks.

Rebecca Ramsey said...

The blobfish sort of looks like Jimmy Durante, no offense to him.
I love that video. Very creative.

My boys call each other the same names. Jerkface is also on the list.

Carrie Harris said...

Hah! There's a line between Ning-Nong and Blobfish! You learn something new every day. :)

Anne Spollen said...

Stay with me on this one: put a ridiculously vintage hat on Mr. Blobfish and you have certain members of the British royal family.
No, seriously.

Anonymous said...

That is pretty funny.
My kids call each other "tubby wubby." I may have to subscribe to NGkids. It sounds pretty good.

Adrienne said...

Kelly - I remember Kilroy! We drew him all over our notebooks :D

ICQB - Eh, I say renew those subscriptions! Surely the magazine police won't come to get you...

Becky - There's probably already a YouTube of Mr. Blobfish saying, "Ha-cha-cha-cha-cha!"

Carrie - Happy to impart some knowledge, however ridiculous it may be :)

Anne - LOL! I'm picturing something covered in hyacinths...

Green Girl - Tubby wubby is kinda cute - it sounds like the place to play with rubber ducky wucky...

Rena Jones said...

Oh, blobfish are ICKY! I've seen that particular picture before too. {{{shudder}}} Some things are just best left on the bottom of the ocean floor.

LOL @ all the names your kids come up with, especially Mutt Williams. My boys would get a kick out of that one.

Kimbra Kasch said...

That is the ugliest "fish" I've ever seen. And I agree with Rena, this fish should stay put.

LW said...

Glad to see kids still have ethics..

Louise

Suzie said...

I think IM a blob fish

C.R. Evers said...

LOL! Luv your kids convo! Glad to see they were able to reach a truce. :0)

For some reason the video isn't showing up for me. I'll come back later to check it out. Probably just an internet glitch.

Christy

Bish Denham said...

Now that's a ugly fish and he doesn't look to happy either, what with being out of the water!

Adrienne said...

Rena and Kim - From the grumpy look on his face, I'd say he agrees with you!

Louise - Ha! I'm not sure I agree with their principles, but it's nice to know they have some.

Suzie - Okay, I seriously doubt that :-D

Christy - I hate when that happens!
Just search Ning Nang Nong in YouTube. I love how silly it is :)

Adrienne said...

Bish - I agree! But there is something so cartoony about that expression...