Wednesday, March 4, 2009

I'm Going To Get It Right This Time

In a move that was either clever or crazy, I had the drawings for my current project critiqued at the same time as the manuscript. I might be a bigger glutton for punishment than I thought.

The art director took one look at my dummy, and based on some of the other images in my portfolio, decided I should go in a totally different direction for this book. I actually didn’t get too upset about the idea; in my gut I had the nagging feeling she was right. Even if her being right meant I had to start aaaaaall over from scraaaaaaaaaaaatch.


I spent weeks working away with all kinds of new enthusiasm, much happier with my new possum drawings. Then, when the roughs for my new dummy were nearly finished, I saw this:





C’mon, that doesn’t look like a possum to you? Actually, I was sitting across the table, so I saw the upside-down image of this in the knotty pine. A lightbulb just blinked on in my head. I went to my sketchpad before I could forget about it, and scribbled my favorite sketches so far. Even the rest of the family unanimously voted the new sketches were way better than the old ones.

So here I go again. Starting all over.


Third time’s a charm, right?

15 comments:

Suzie said...

I think I see a face. I see two eyes at least

Debbie said...

I am impressed! You are very resilient.

Kimbra Kasch said...

I love naughty ... um, I mean knotty pine :p

Plus, sometimes a new direction is a wonderful thing. Hope you take time to enjoy the journey.

Anonymous said...

Good luck--I didn't see the possum, but I believe you.

PJ Hoover said...

Now that is inspiration. And a very creative mind!
Congrats to you, and have fun!

Rebecca Ramsey said...

I LOVE it! Inspiration from knotty pine! I can't wait to see your new creations!

ICQB said...

Inspiration comes to those whose minds are always open.

Kelly Polark said...

Good luck, Adrienne! Happy creating!

Rena Jones said...

I see a giraffe, without spots. Adrienne, I don't know what the heck you're drinking. LOL!

Seriously, good luck with the new project. :)

Brenda said...

Your eyes see some wonderful things...good luck with redoing your new project...hugs

LW said...

Yes you can, Yes you can....
wishing you the best with the new start...


Louise

Bish Denham said...

Oh, I'm so happy you were inspired rather than discouraged!

I don't see a possum, but I do see a hole in a tree where a possum lives.

Lily Cate said...

Well, my reception must be bad... I'm getting a kind of cross eyed frog with a big open mouth...and...why...I do believe he's singing!

Anne Spollen said...

I saw the possum, I saw the possum!

Adrienne said...

How fun to hear what other people see in the wood grain :-)
It reminds me of the Rorschach test...