Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Frantic in France


Yesterday I got a surprise in the mail - my prize package from Rebecca Ramsey’s Wonders of the World Blog Party! I’m diving into French cookies, French chocolates, and best of all - her delightful book, French by Heart.

I thought about the last time I went to France. We were lucky and crazy enough to take our kids to Paris when my daughter was six and my son was almost three. Of course we had to visit the Louvre and pay our respects to Mona. It was very crowded that day and security was being thorough about checking belongings.

After a long wait with two wiggly kids, we maneuvered through the swarming lobby up a small flight of stairs to inspect a map on the wall. My daughter was the first to point out a rather important detail:

Baby brother was nowhere to be found.

Instantly I became the hysterical foreign woman in the museum lobby. So surreal was the moment, I remember it as though I’m viewing myself from outside, a woman in a red checkered dress becoming completely unglued.

My husband glimpsed a blonde wisp of hair traveling toward the door and took off like a shot. He didn’t have the chance to clue me in, so I just kept yelling for my baby. Finally a girl about nine years old with the face of an angel smiled at me and pointed toward the door.

By the time my husband caught up with him, my creative toddler had made it all the way out to the street with an enormous book from the gift shop. He had picked it up because he wanted to show us the pretty picture. We returned the book and only later wondered why we hadn’t purchased it for a souvenir.

With all the tight security by the door, I’m still amazed no one noticed a little blond boy slip out with an armload of merchandise. My son must be one of the few people on the planet who can boast that he stole something from the Louvre. There in the picture is the little culprit - returning to the scene.

10 comments:

Rebecca Ramsey said...

What an amazing story! Your baby son, stealing from the Louvre! You must be so proud! :)

I'm so glad you're enjoying your loot!
Becky

Rena Jones said...

What a great story! Not to mention an adorable picture -- too cute!

Brenda said...

With an adorable face like that...why would anyone try to stop him...they probably opened the door for him...grin...

What a great story and such a cutie pie...

Adrienne said...

Becky - Yes, we think he has a brilliant career ahead of him!

Rena - Thanks! I saw your cutie-pie on your blog today...

Brenda - LOL! He is a charmer.

C.R. Evers said...

Wow! Now that's quite a story! You gotta look out for those cute, charming types! :0)

BTW, re: your post below, I think I really must have read your mind because I woke up this morning thinking "I need to post a creative exercise about the way kids associate words and objects in their world." So I did! That's what I blogged about this morning, and then I came over here from the blueboards and Voila! I must have read your mind! FREAKY! ~*~*~*~*~* :0)

anyway . . . cute post!

Christy

Brenda said...

Just wanted to let you know that not only did you get tagged by me earlier today, I have now nominated you for the "I Love Your Blog" award...

Check my blog to see the post...

Adrienne said...

Christy - I'll have to check out your post!

Brenda - Thanks, and I love your blog too!

Rena Jones said...

Adrienne -- I couldn't find an email for you, but I was looking at your profile and couldn't believe all we have in common. I used to be into Kate Bush a lot in the 80s. I didn't think people even knew who she was even. If you ever decide to give that "photo face" thing a try and want a partner, let me know. I'd love to do a photo project and see how many faces I can find. I absolutely love your illustrations too. I wish writers had more say in who illustrates their books! :)

Adrienne said...

Rena - Thanks for the encouraging words! It's always great to find people with similar interests:)

Kimbra Kasch said...

Maybe he's the little culprit who hid the casket of Mary Magdalene beneath the louvre.

Anything is possible...